PRESENTATION CHURCH

Neyveli,   Tamilnadu.



Koorapettai the old Christian Village was under the Madurai Mission and was linked with Konankuppam and with Thennur in the 18th Century.  This became a separate parish in 1873 and linked with Kunankurichy.  Sometimes Kootapettai was head quarters and at other times Kunankurichy.  In 1926, the parish church was built by Fr. Saverinather.  The Government acquired all the buildings and lands in Koorapettai and around for the Lignite Coporation including the church.  The church was about to be demolished.  The then Parish Priest, Fr. Olasayil, managed to have the church preserved and get it leased to the Archdiocese for use as the parish church of Neyveli.  Fr. Verinaud(1960-69) organized the workers newly settled in the various 30 blocks of the township into a workers parish.